Is Bridesmaids the new Hangover?

If you’re looking for a romantic comedy your boyfriend will not fall asleep in, Bridesmaids is the one. With familiar faces from NBC’s Saturday Night Live, Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, play Annie and Lillian, best friends in Director Paul Feig’s latest movie, which was co-written by Wiig and Annie Mumolo.

The trailer, which appears to be like  a female version of the Hangover, does not do this film justice.

It begins with an awkward love scene between Annie and Ted (played by Mad Men’s John Hamm) who is a complete jerk. When he asks her to leave, she is forced to begin her walk of shame, which ends with her in tree outside of his house.

Soon enough she is talking with Lillian, who harshly tells her to stop going out with commitment phobe jerks like Ted.

The childhood friends continue their week and we find that Annie lost her bakery and longtime boyfriend during the recession.

As Friday comes, Annie is at Lillian’s apartment for their magazines and wine night, only for Lillian to inform her of her engagement. Less than thrilled, Despite being asked to be her maid of honor, Annie panics, with thoughts of losing her other half to marriage.

After a little more disaster and a run in with a cop (played by Chris O’Dowd), Annie tries to find a date for the engagement party, unsuccessfully. But, a possible love interest with cop is shown, and expanded on later in the film.

Entering the party alone, as the valet struggles with her ancient car, Annie is greeted by Lillian and introduced to the rest of the bridesmaids, most notably, Helen (played by newcomer Rose Byrne), a beautiful and wealthy new friend of Lillian’s who quickly becomes Annie’s rival.

With competition between the two friends, old and new, they fight for the affection of Lillian, and over planning the upcoming bridal shower, bachelorette party, and the wedding itself.

As the film continues (which is a total of two hours and five minutes), it reveals the comedy of life, the drama of friendship, and the romance in new love.

Despite the comparison to the Hangover, Bridesmaids has it all, and more, even with it’s traditional plot. It bypasses the vulgarity of  the Hangover and soars over the reckless adventures with grace. Who said a girl can’t be gross?

As the rivalry deepens and the mishaps rise, tensions between the childhood friends thicken as they get closer to the wedding, and as the evil Helen tops every move Annie makes.

Bridesmaids released on May 13, earned $24.4 million in its first weekend. The film is certainly worth the time and money, and is a great movie to begin the summer. This movie will have you laughing so hard, tears begin to fall. It gets an A+ for taking an overused plot and creating a timeless story. It sets the bar very high for all upcoming romantic comedies with its unique interpretation and expression of jealousy, rivalry, and love.