Q&A with musician Steve Aderton

So how did you get into what you do?

Well I’ve always wanted to be the best at something in music, and I knew I could never be the best at playing an instrument or singing so I decided to go into production. I switched around a lot from genre to genre, and I began to notice and understand things most people missed. Eventually I got bored making hip hop and soundtracks, so I decided to look for a new genre. That’s how I found dubstep.

What is it exactly that you do?

Some people get DJ’s and Producers mixed up. A DJ takes other people’s music and presents it in a new way, and a producer makes their own music from scratch. I’m a producer. I produce my music using the same professional software as artists like Deadmau5 and Skrillex, and although I have a fair amount of equipment now, honestly some of my best work has been just me in my room with my laptop and a coke.

What is a typical day like in your life?

I wake up around 5, hit the snooze button on my alarm about 27 times, get ready for school, walk to school, wonder if I’m missing something for school, go to all my classes, stay around and talk to friends after school, walk home, check facebook, work on music, check facebook, start my homework, check facebook, eat dinner, check facebook, finish up my homework, check facebook, read some comics then fall asleep.

What is the process like for producing music?

I use a program called FL Studio, and while I’m sure you’d love to read the 4 billion page manual, I’ll sum it all up by saying it’s a digital interface for music creation. The process usually begins with an intro to the song, and if I like it enough I’ll make a drum beat, and if I like that enough I’ll make a drop, and if the drop is good enough I’ll finish the song. I can spend months on a single song, in fact right now I have an unreleased I’ve spent about 3 months on now. As far as my graphics go, I have a great graphics designer named Chris who’s been with me since the beginning when I started up VOXEL.

Have any other interests?

I love just about any type of music aside from some country, and usually I listen to music while I’m doing just about anything. I love geek culture and internet culture. I like PC gaming, and I actually owe my alias name, VOXEL, to the games Minecraft and Portal. I spend a lot of time doing things with the theater department and I love acting. Over all I love just about all the arts.

Inspiration?

Some [of my] inspirations are Ronald Jenkees, Joel Zimmerman, and Sonny Moore.

Voxel YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOfficialVOXEL