The unveiling of “A” thrills fans

Two seasons and 47 episodes. That is how long eager fans had to wait for the unmasking of “A’s” identity. In an intense season finale, the Pretty Little Liars went through a crazy roller coaster ride in their mission to find “A.”

Based on the bestselling series by Sara Shepard, Pretty Little Liars is about four girls named Spencer Hastings, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, and Emily Fields who were befriended by the popular Alison Dilaurentis. After a year of Alison’s disappearance and the finding of her body, the four girls started to receive texts with their deepest and darkest secrets, from an anonymous source called “A.”  Throughout the two seasons, fans, along with the four Pretty Little Liars, have been trying to figure out who this crazy and threatening tormentor was.

The season finale had started with the four girls receiving invitations to a masquerade ball with a demand they attend it from “A.” In the past, the girls had figured out that their Alison was also being tormented by “A” and that she was looking for “A.” In another clue, the Liars found themselves going to a Resort that Ali herself went to, where they found more clues. After staying a night in room #1, the girls started to get ready for the ball. Later, the girls divided around the ball, each taking a different location from where they could watch and look for “A.” But, after talking to Mona, Spencer realized that she needed to go back to the Resort to go in room #2, where she thought more clues are located.

Meanwhile, a couple of relationships were being rekindled at the ball. Soon, at the resort, Spencer and Mona figured out that room #2 is “A’s” lair and Spencer started to put pieces of the crazy puzzle together. She finally suspected Mona as “A” and when she turned around, she saw Mona wearing “A’s” usual uniform (all black pants and a hoodie). Shortly afterwards, all hell started to break loose as Mona knocks Spencer unconscious and takes her captive in her car, which she was driving recklessly. Mona suggested that Spencer join the “A team,” but before she could make a decision, she notified the other Liars of her location at Lookout Point, through sly communication. Mona started to lose it when she realized Aria, Emily, and a shocked Hanna had arrived and she tried to push Spencer off Lookout Point, but she ended up falling over.

When authorities arrived, Dr. Sullivan, the Liars’ old therapist who disappeared, also appeared. After a long day of events, the girls made their way towards Emily’s house, and they soon found out that a body was found, and the police speculate it to be Maya’s, which tore Emily apart. Little do they know that someone wearing a red coat just visited Mona at where she was hospitalized.

“I don’t think the finale was much different from the other episodes and I was upset that they didn’t reveal more information on the “A team.” By the middle of the episode, my friends and I thought that  “A” might be Mona because we were focusing on her character more and she seemed a little suspicious,” junior Lois Kim said.

In contrast to the show, it took Sara Shepard four books to reveal the identity of “A.” Although, the producers of the show said that the show wouldn’t have the same “A” as in the books, both “As” ended up being Mona. This confused some fans since they were following the word of the producers. Nonetheless, some fans thought they had figured out who “A” was and were disappointed.

“I’m mad that “A” was Mona just like in the book, but I’m happy she didn’t die since she seems like the best source of information now. Although I had guessed that she might be “A” because I thought that the “A” messages she got were fake, I was still kind of shocked at the end,” freshman Yassmin Shamma said.

The good thing about the finale is that now fans and the Liars are one step closer to finding the truth about the crazy mystery they’re tangled in. Now fans will be expected to tune in to the thrilling drama when it comes back this summer, to watch as the mastermind of the “A team” is revealed.