Students carve up the slopes to spend some time outdoors

While the winter is usually a season that sees little outdoor activity, some students have embraced the cold weather and are hitting the ski slopes.

Over the winter break, a group of juniors and their families braved the cold for a long weekend of skiing  in the mountains of Maryland.

“My friends and I have gone on a ski trip to Wisp Ski Resort in Maryland for the past two years now and we are going to make it a tradition every winter,” junior Ashlyn Nisker said.

Wisp Ski Resort, which is located in Garret County, Maryland is a great resort if you are just starting out or are an expert. The mountain has over 132 acres available for skiing and snowboarding, with six black diamonds and seven easy trails for the beginners.

Not only did the group take advantage of the slopes, they also spent time relaxing indoors with family and friends.

“During the day we hit the slopes, but at night we all got to hang out  at the ski house and watch movies and use the hot tub,” Nisker said.

With so many resorts within driving distance, it is also possible to go on a day trip to the slopes.

“Not only do we go to Wisp, but we have also taken day trips to closer places like Massanutten, Whitetail and Seven Springs,” Nisker said.

Other AHS students prefer snowboarding to skiing.
“I go snowboarding with some of my friends every year at Seven Springs,” senior Eric Reynolds said.

Located in Pennsylvania, Seven Springs is the state’s largest ski and four seasons resort. The resort even  has its very own sports school, for even more instruction on the mountain than just lessons.

“The best part is just getting away and hanging out with my friends,” Reynolds said.

The more laid back slope action is tubing. Most ski resorts have separate slopes reserved just for tubing. Tubing is for those who want a more leisurely experience than skiing or snowboarding. It can even be an extra activity between ski sessions.

Be sure  to check your resort’s website prior to going on your next ski trip. The snow reports show the current weather and snowfall of the mountain to determine what the quality of the slopes will be during your planned trip. If you want to see for yourself, you can to view the snow-cams to view current or live footage of all the slopes. Ski resorts offer great group discounts and lessons for first timers or just refresher courses for experienced skiiers.

Even those of you without equipment don’t need to worry, as every ski resort rents out boards and provides tubes as well as warm weather gear. Many lodges also have shops so that you may purchase your own equipment if you want.

Whatever the sport and wherever the lodge, AHS students are shredding up the slopes this winter season.