Atoms tennis serves up strong chemistry

Seniors Quang Bui and Keane Ong set up to serve a point in practice, 04/26

The boys and girls tennis teams have had a challenging start to the season with both squads sitting at a 2-10 record.  Tennis is more than just a physical battle at the net, and is much more of a mental game than people think.  Senior Keane Ong says his biggest challenges were, “…staying patient with myself and playing solidly, because I find that I grow ambitious during points, which causes me to make unforced errors, which then makes me play more passively, which also leads to losing more points.” One of Ong’s challenges is that he “lacks the mental fortitude to keep my cool and play logically.”

Along with mental challenges, Freshman VJ Mum explains that the mechanics of tennis are also a struggle. “My biggest challenge that I faced this season was knowing how to serve. Before the season I couldn’t serve well, but I took my time and took in tips which helped me improve.”

Despite a losing record, there are several encouraging aspects to this season. There was an increased interest in tennis this year which was great for the program and brought a new sense of energy.  Ong says, “The fact that our team gained a lot of new players, as last year it was looking like our team would comprise less than 10 players, so having more than 20 on the team is definitely a good thing.” 

Another aspect going great for the tennis team this year is team chemistry. Sophomore Austin Graham says, “Chemistry is definitely important in doubles because you and your partner should always be communicating making sure you’re both on the same page.” Graham and Mum are a great duo playing doubles together. Mum said, “I know how Austin plays so it makes me adjust to his play style. From the start, we have had good energy playing together.”

Game strategy going from doubles to singles is very different. Graham says, “I think singles is a lot more strategic and mental, singles is only you versus your opponent where doubles requires communication which I think makes it more fun.”

Good chemistry among teammates carries over off the court as well.  Sophomore Lizzie Gronberg says that the team’s sense of community is very strong.  “Last year we were all pretty close, but there is just something different about this year.  We truly all do feel like sisters and I think that this team will be one of my favorites when I am looking back on my high school career!”

Although the boys tennis team is losing nine seniors, Coach Zaret says, “We have three underclassmen in the top six and several freshmen showing a lot of improvement.” These underclassmen will play a vital role on the team in future seasons.

The senior boys will had a chance to look back on their high school career during their senior night on Thursday, April 25 in a match against Edison High School. Ong says his favorite memories playing for the tennis team are “singing songs and the conversations we had on the bus rides to and from away games last year.”  The girls team said goodbye to three graduating seniors during their senior night on Thursday, April 18.  

The Atoms tennis team looks to end their season strong before heading into districts. You can follow the teams progress on Instagram @atomstennis