Atoms baseball starts pitching hard

Senior Zach Plan sets up to throw his pitch during a regular season game

As the spring sports season blossoms into full swing, the Atoms Baseball team has enthusiastically thrown their first pitch of the season, facing off against Falls Church and Mount Vernon. With an early record standing at 1-1, the team has experienced both the thrill of victory and the upset of defeat. This start has served as a critical reflection point for the players and coaching staff. While moments of brilliance have shone through, there remains a agreement among the Atoms: there is considerable room for improvement, particularly in their approach to batting.

Sophomore and Team Captain Andrew McGee has been vocal about the challenges at the plate, stating, “Our hitting has not been at the level it needs to be to win games. As a team, we strike out too much and lack discipline at the plate.”

However, not all news from the diamond is of struggle; the team boasts a beacon of hope in Senior Zach Plank, who is maintaining an impressive .500 batting average. Plank stands as a testament to what the Atoms are capable of achieving. His remarkable performance is a rallying point for the team, igniting a belief that with dedication and practice, the rest of the lineup can elevate their batting to match his high standards.

The strength of the Atoms extends beyond the batter’s box to the mound, where their pitching has shown to be strong for the team. This is shown by Senior Jace Colato’s exceptional outing against Falls Church. With this outing, the team has found a reliable pillar in their pitching rotation. “We have been throwing strikes for the most part, which is the biggest goal for our players,” McGee has noted, spotlighting this as a critical element of their game that has met expectations.

Team chemistry has emerged as a significant asset for this season’s squad, driven by the presence of many returning players. This has created a seamless integration on the field, particularly evident in their defensive plays. Yet, despite the strong defensive performance, Team Captain and Senior Tk Decreau adds that there is still a pathway for improvement, stating, “Defensively the team has been solid but obviously still room for improvement.”

As they gear up for the upcoming match against Hayfield on Tuesday, March 19th, the Atoms are not just playing for another win but for a boost in team morale and a step closer to their ultimate season objective: the district championship. This forthcoming game is more than just another entry in the season’s ledger; it represents an opportunity to set the tone for the remainder of their campaign to win the district. 

For enthusiasts and supporters of the Atoms Baseball team, you can follow their season’s progress, highlights, and player development on Instagram @atomsbaseball,

As the season progresses, the Atoms Baseball team continues to strive for excellence, addressing their weaknesses while building on their strengths. With a clear vision and collective resolve, the team is set to face the challenges ahead, demonstrating that through unity, hard work, and determination, they can aspire to turn their district championship ambitions into reality.