Washington Capitals on the road

As the HBO cameras stop rolling and the second half of the NHL regular season on its way, the Washington Capitals team and coaches will be spending much of their time in hotel rooms and airports. As the hype dies down from a big win against the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Winter Classic, the team is hoping to continue on a positive note throughout the rest of the month.

“It was a big win, but you’ve got to remember it’s only two points,” said left wing Jason Chimera to The Washington Post.

However, the second half of January will begin a long stretch of road trips.  Of the 39 games remaining, 22 will be seen away from home ice, which is not exactly ideal for a team currently holding a less than desirable road record of 9 for 19.

And as a team currently trying to lock-in the top spot in the Southeast, the disadvantage of away ice could be a deciding factor in crucial games if Washington doesn’t play up to their standards, especially as they prepare to play their current division rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“If you are going to be a leading team, you have to consistently win on the road and win in tough buildings. We need to put in their minds, ‘ We can’t beat them in Washington or in our own building.’ We need to put some fear in people’s minds,”said center Brooks Laich on the team’s official website.

While there may not be quite as many red shirts in the crowd at other arenas, the Capitals can remember that there is no shortage of support when they return.