Track stars earn All-American

The gun sounds, and the runners for the National 800m race are off. AHS’s star mid-distance runner and Virginia State Champion for the 1000 meter race, Ahmed Bile, starts off at a brisk pace, securing a position behind 3 other runners. After the first 400 meters, Ahmed makes his move, sprinting to 1st place. He knows that if he can just hold on, the title will be his. Every step, every breath, every stride cuts into his stamina, and his legs starts to buckle. His whole season coming to a close in less than two minutes, and all he can do is keep running. He closes his eyes and gives it all he has got, collapsing at the end of the race. Bile finishes in third, securing All-American Status.

It is not often that you see two athletes granted All-American status from the same school – much less from the same sport and season. But Bile and senior JP Jenkins have done just that. All-American status for the indoor track season is achieved by placing top six in the entire nation.

At the New Balance Indoor National Meet in New York City on March 11, Bile competed in the 800 meter run, while Jenkins sprinted the 60 meter hurdles. As the only athletes from AHS, they represented our school well with Bile placing third overall in the nation in the 800 with an amazing time of 1:51.96 and Jenkins placed fourth overall in the nation in the 60 meter hurdles, with a time of 7.33 seconds.

“It felt great placing so high,” Bile said. “I was hoping to get in the top six, so placing third was amazing.”

It is not the first time that we have seen these two names, as both have been very successful in their sports. Bile was running at NYC as a double Virginia High School League AAA State Champion, once for the Cross Country season and another this indoor track season for the 1000 meter run. He also received All-American status during the Cross Country season when he ran at the Footlocker National Meet in San Diego after what was said to be a “dream season.” Bile is now only a few seconds off from his father, Gold Olympic Medalist Abdi Bile, who ran the 800m in 1:43.60 back in 1989.

“The 800 is more my specialty,” Bile said. “Cross country was a lot harder on my body.”

Jenkins has also made a name for himself in the sport, with a district and regional championship for the indoor season, as well as placing second in the state for the 55 meter hurdles this year. Jenkins also contributes to the team with his position on the 4×400 meter relay. Jenkins’ amazing speed and running has transitioned seamlessly into his high school career as AHS’s running back and defensive back, cementing his position as a truly versatile athlete.

This is not the last time we are going to see these fine athletes as the spring season has just begun for both. There is no doubt that these two track stars will aid the track and field team in their quest for another Patriot District Championship. This is especially true for Bile, who is still a junior, and still has his entire senior season ahead of him. Both athletes are looking forward to the spring season, where they can hopefully end off the school year with a national title.