2011 Women’s World Cup Kicks Off

The sixth FIFA Women’s World Cup began June 26 in Germany when Nigeria played France in the opening game. France came out on top with a 1-0 victory, leaving France and Germany even with three points and Nigeria and Canada even with none after Germany’s 2-1 win over Canada. Some likely contenders to win the World Cup include the United States, Germany, Brazil, and Japan.

The United States team won a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but hasn’t been able to win a World Cup since 1999. However, with striker Abby Wambach, striker Alex Morgan and goalie Hope Solo, the U.S. could pull forward to win their third World Cup title.

Germany is a favorite to win this year’s World Cup with forward Inka Grings and midfielder Kim Kulig. The two-time defending World Cup champions are also the host of this year’s tournament, giving them a home field advantage. Although they have lost all three matches against the U.S. since February 2009, they seem to be the top pick to win the tournament, especially after winning their first match against Canada.

Brazil is known for producing amazing soccer players, including striker Marta, also known as “Pele in a skirt”. The five-time FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year is often described as the female version of Lionel Messi with her exceptional foot skills. With Marta and their record of not losing a match in more than two years, Brazil could win their first women’s World Cup title.

Japan has already won their first game in the tournament after beating New Zealand 2-1 with a free kick goal in the 68th minute. They are ranked No. 4 in the FIFA women’s world rankings, and hope to change their history of never making it past the quarterfinals with striker Mana Iwabuchi. Iwabuchi amazed soccer fans when she won the Golden Ball award as the best player in the 2008 under 17 women’s world Cup tournament.

Other countries that have a strong chance of winning the World Cup title include Canada and England. Canada has won recent friendly matches against Sweden and England, but is put in a tough group, facing Germany, France and Nigeria and already losing their first game to Germany. England hopes that striker Kelly Smith will lead her team to their first women’s World Cup victory in what is likely to be her final World Cup tournament.

The U.S. team plays their first match against North Korea on July 28 at 12:15 p.m. The game, along with others, can be watched on ESPN. A schedule of the tournament and game results are available at the tournament’s official website.