U.S. beats Brazil in penalty kicks

U.S. beats Brazil in penalty kicks

Millions of fans watched and held their breaths as the U.S. versus Brazil game entered one of the most suspenseful moments of soccer, penalty kicks. The U.S. won 5-3 in penalty kicks after a 2-2 tie on July 10.

The U.S. took an early lead in the first two minutes with an own goal by Brazilian defender Daiane, who misdirected an attempt to clear the ball.

Brazilian player Marta made a dangerous run into the box in the 65th minute, beating two US defenders and coming close to a face-off with U.S. goalie Hope Solo before U.S. defender Rachel Buehler sprinted back to drag her down and prevent the shot. Australian referee Jacqui Melksham ruled it a penalty and a red card. Brazilian player Cristiane, who already scored one goal off a penalty, stepped up to take the kick. Solo read the shot perfectly and blocked it. She celebrated with a hug from Carli Lloyd, however Melksham ruled the kick to be retaken. A replay later showed the call was due to a U.S. player entering the box before the shot was taken. Marta stepped up to take the penalty shot and scored.

”I have no idea,” Solo later said when asked about the ruling. ”It is what it is.”

Marta scored again, two minutes into extra time by shooting the ball at a difficult angle for Solo.The game was tied after a phenomenal goal by U.S. striker Abby Wambach on a header in the 122nd minute, one of the latest goals to ever be scored in the World Cup during a game. U.S. midfielder Megan Rapinoe crossed the ball from about 30 yards out on the left side. Wambach, a danger to goalies when in the air, met the ball and whipped her head to bury the ball in the net. Solo continued to deny Brazil’s shots in order to clench the opportunity for penalty kicks.

The U.S. went first to make four penalty kicks, which Brazilian players Cristiane, Francielle and Marta effortlessly matched. U.S. player Ali Kreiger scored the final goal, winning the penalty kick shootout and eliminating Brazil from the World Cup tournament. The U.S. team swarmed the field and celebrated with the crowd of majority U.S. fans as Brazil stood in silence, shocked by the outcome.

The U.S. advance to the semifinals on Wednesday against France, who narrowly earned a victory against England when winning in penalty kicks, much similar to the U.S. Although the U.S. has to win two more games in order to win the final, they have a much better chance now that Germany was knocked out by Japan.

“I’m at a loss and I literally cannot believe what just happened,” Wambach said. “But we’ve got two games left.”