Field hockey wins 3 of 5

Sophomore Faith Paletti passes the ball to a teammate during practice. Paletti and the JV team began the season 2-0, while the varsity team won two of three tournament games and went 1-1 in its first two regular season match-ups.

Any tournament can pose a great challenge, no matter how much preparation comes before it.  Teams are often unsure of what to expect, and even with weeks of practice and training beforehand, may fail to reach expectations.  Despite this challenge, however, the varsity field hockey team finished 2-0-1 in the Oakton Jamboree Tournament on August 17, just a day after making final cuts.

“I was really proud of our performance at the Jamboree. We did well considering we didn’t have much practice time with our new teams,” senior Kenzi Wright said.

The team started out the regular season with an easy 6-2 victory over Edison on August 24, but fell to Hayfield on August 29, dropping their record to 1-1 on the year.  However, they will not face a team within the district until September 13, giving them plenty of time to practice as a team.

“I am confident that we are going to go far this season and do well as a team,” Wright said.

Last year, the team qualified for regionals but fell short to Oakton in the second round.  They look to avenge their loss and advance even farther in the playoffs this year.

Although the JV team’s tournament was cancelled due to inclement weather, they are looking very strong already. They remain undefeated on the season and have yet to give up a goal, with a 6-0 win over Edison and a 4-0 win over Hayfield.

On the other hand, though the freshmen team has struggled in two early season losses, they keep a positive outlook on the season and are working hard to improve.

The Atoms will face off against Madison tomorrow, hoping to come away with yet another win.