Golf off to strong start

Junior Michael Hennessey lines up a shot at the driving range. Despite this being his first season on the team, Hennessey has already started in a tournament.

The varsity golf team started out the season with a strong performance in their first match of the year, beating West Springfield and West Potomac, but losing to South County.  The top six players from each team competed in the quad-match, though only the top four scores counted.

“Everyone had a good day and pulled through for the team,” senior Adam Huenemann said.  Huenemann shot a 40 and was the low man for the Atoms despite triple bogeying the first hole.

“I just put the first hole out of my mind and ended up shooting only one over for the rest of the round,” Huenemann said.

Senior Ryan Miller had a breakout performance, shooting a 41 to put himself in second for the Atoms.

“I’ve been working really hard on my putting and I got a new grip, which really helped,” Miller said.  Miller had many clutch one-putts during the match, which included birdies on holes four and five.

“Our goal is to make regionals as a team, and if everyone can shoot consistent at districts I think we definitely have a good chance,” senior Willie Labarca said.  The top two teams at districts after the two-day tournament advance to regionals.

The Atoms also face the unique challenge of not having a home course, and therefore no home matches. It also makes finding a place to practice a challenge.  Head Coach Richard McCormack worked tirelessly to provide tee times and range balls for the team.

“Coach Mac has really helped the team by getting us tee times at Laurel Hill and practice time at Army Navy Country Club.  Playing tough courses like Laurel Hill really elevates our game and prepares us mentally for matches,” Labarca said.

Despite the lack of a home course, the team shows much promise. Should each individual stay dedicated to working on their game, the Atoms could shock the district and qualify for regionals as a team for the first time in over 25 years.