Bile holds top time in the U.S.

Ahmed Bile, the best runner at AHS, is also the best runner in the nation. Bile ran a 2:26.36 1000 meter race, the fastest time in the nation, at the Virginia Tech Invitational held on Jan. 27, almost breaking the 2:24 meet record set by Olympian Alan Webb.

“Feels great to be the fastest,” Bile said. “I’m going for Alan Webb’s record at states in the 1000, 2:23.68, which is only a few seconds off of my time.”

In the past few days, AHS star athlete Ahmed Bile has run the fastest high school time in the nation for the 1000 meter race, won the 4×800 meter race, the 1000 meter race, and the 1600 meter race at the Patriot District Championships, signed a letter of intent to run at Georgetown and won another Gatorade runner of the year award.

He’s had a good week, to say the least.

As a four time All-American and state champion, Bile is one of the greatest athletes AHS has seen. And his career is not over yet, with Bile looking to be much stronger and faster during his outdoor season this year.

“I’ve been doing a lot of strength workouts every day and my body isn’t as beat up as it would be after races,” Bile said. “And Coach O’Hara has taken the workouts to a whole new level that has made me used to racing.”

At the first installment of the Patriot District Championships held on Feb. 1 at Episcopal HS, Bile was the last runner for the boys 4×800 meter relay with juniors Austin Chavez and James Terrell and freshman Nathan Hogye. He received the baton when the relay team was in fourth place, with 75 to 100 meters between AHS and the winner, and took the team from fourth place to a first place and a district championship finish. The overall time for the team was 8:22, with Bile’s astounding time of 1:53 for a half mile. Bile went on to compete in the 1000 meter race and the 1600 meter race, winning district championships in both with times of 2:34 and 4:24, respectively.

Last year, Bile was awarded the Gatorade Virginia runner of the year award after his cross country season as the most outstanding runner in the state, not only athletically but academically. This year, Bile received the award again, and will have another banner hanging in the gym in his honor. Bile received 12 gatorade water bottles and gatorade towels for the award as well, which he donated to the school.

So far in his high school career Bile has won 12 district championships, eight Northern Region Championships, four State championships, along with four All-American statuses.

Bile’s next race will be at the Northern Region Championship competition held at George Mason University Field House on Feb. 18. The state competition will be held at Hampton, VA on Feb. 24 and 25. Last year, Bile was the Northern Region Champion and the State Champion in the 1000 meter run, and he looks to repeat these feats again this year.

Bile announced his decision to run at Georgetown University earlier this year. On Feb. 1, National Signing Day, he signed his letter of intent to run at Georgetown University on a full ride scholarship.

Family, teachers and coaches were present at the ceremony at Clausen Hall at 8 a.m. Distance coach Dave O’Hara, who has coached Bile throughout his high school career, said a few words to the small group about Bile’s running ability, academics and character, presenting him with the official letter to sign at the end.

After states, his season will continue into the New Balance Indoor Track National event at the New Balance Armory in New York. Bile placed third in the 800 meter run last year, and hopes to beat his time of 1:51.