Girls volleyball seeks success after rough start

August. 28. The AHS volleyball team won 3-0 against Parkview High School.
Brian Milman

The Atoms girls volleyball team has been off to a rough start with one win and 5 losses. The team looks to improve from the struggles they had in previous games.
Sophomore Matilda Moreland said, “The team’s biggest struggle this season is keeping the energy up when we’re down, our main problem isn’t lack of skill but lack of motivation and hype.”
The team has been trying to get motivated and in the right headspace for their games. Moreland said “Some strategies that I Think have been helpful for the team are coming to practice early and game day themes. We try to go all out for game day, people’s outsides for the MlB and Adam Sandler days were great and it’s a really fun way to boost the teams energy and excitement.”
Sophomore Anna Fitzgerald said “I know we have what it takes to win but we don’t execute it well in game. So for us to be successful we have to execute what we know in a game.”
Michelle Collins Escobar said, “I think that our communication overall is good, sometimes we get stressed or mad on the court so we don’t communicate but once we get over those hiccups we were pretty good at communicating and working together.”
Due to graduation the team has lost many of its experienced players. This hurts every team each year as the leaders of the team are moving on.
The team still seeks to look past this hiccup and use the new talent from new players who have joined. The team still looks sharp and is building on their skill after each game.
The team looks forward to making a playoff run this season and testing how far they can go.
Moreland said,“I don’t know how far we’ll make it into the playoffs but I think we can definitely beat Mount Vernon High School and Justice High School. We are aiming for top 6 so we can play regionals.”
The team loves motivation and is trying to keep the energy high. Fitzgerald said “This year we have done really good at staying positive. Also trying our best to better each other .”
The team has struggled with wins this season but still has many good qualities in the game.
Players love practices and playing together as a team. The team chemistry has gotten higher all around from Varsity to JV and even to the freshman team.
Junior Michelle Collins Escobar said, “My favorite moment so far has been volleyball practices. I love meeting and playing with the new freshman and JV because it’s so fun. Seeing how proud they are after they do something right is amazing to see. Freshman also winning their first game against Justice High School was amazing as well.”
Senior Keira Bennet said, “I think the team has been doing great with communication and teamwork. I feel that I am able to communicate with my teammates very easily and feel very comfortable with them.”
Players are still learning the game but they’re improving very rapidly. Fitzgerald said “ This year I have not done too bad. I am learning the more I practice and play. But I am off to a good start.”

Bennet said, “I think I’ve made many improvements with my playing so far but I still have space to make more improvements.”
Escobar said “ I think I’ve played pretty good and definitely improved from the beginning of the season. My hits are stronger and go down. My serves also got better. I feel like I have more power.”
Outside of the practices the team is very social and recently went to a volleyball event at George Mason College to watch women’s volleyball.
Bennet said, “My favorite moment of the season so far was when we went to go watch the women’s volleyball team at George Mason play. It was my favorite because I was able to really connect and have fun with my teammates and build stronger relationships with them. Also the game was very exciting to watch and I was able to learn more about volleyball by watching very experienced players play.”
Team activities outside of practice and school are what bring the team together. Players usually find this to be the highlights of each season. Coaches love team bonding because it builds bonds and friendship and can even translate to better communication on the court. There is no doubt that the team will continue to bond outside of practice and games to build friendships.
Overall the team is looking good.