Field hockey finishes season strong

Rich Fink
Sophomore Lily Rumpf sets up to pass the ball to her teamate, during a game against Chantilly High School, Sept. 14

The Atoms Field Hockey finished another thrilling and successfull season this month. The Atoms finished undefeated in the National District, and finished 2nd in District Play. To cap off their incredible season, the Atoms had 8 district recognizitons, and 6 regional recognitions. 

The Atoms’ success this year came from excellent coaching and great team morale. The Atoms were fueled by the common goal of defending the National District Title. The Atoms unfortunately fell short against the Hayfield Hawks in the National District Championship. 

Sophomore Lily Rumpf added, “We were very excited that we won first seed, which is very impressive, but I think we all really wanted to go all the way and win the District again, so we were disappointed about our loss in the championship.”

During the second half of the season, the team improved individually and as a team together. This came from intense but productive practices. 

Sophomore Lily Flores added, “Towards the second half of the season you could see so much more improvement in the team, but also as individual players.”

With hours of practice, bus rides, and game time, the team developed an even greater connection and bond with each other as they entered into the second half of the season. This contributed to clinching the first seed in the regular season. 

“As the season progressed we clicked which made us connect on the field. The connections on and off the field with the team and the coaches helped us feel so close to each other and reunite us as not just a team, but as family.” Said Flores. 

After a tough battle against the Hayfield Hawks, the Atoms intensified their practice in preparation for their matchup against the Robinson Rams, an even tougher team. 

“The regional game was hard because we all knew it was going to be a tough game but we still wanted to get the W.” added Rumpf. 

The Atoms started off strong and tough and successfully fend off Robinson High School in the first part of the game, but unfortunately the Atoms fell short 2-1, in a hard-fought match.

The Atoms closed the season with many District and Regional recognitions, including Callia Uviedo, the National District Player of the Year! 

“It was really fulfilling winning the National District Player of the Year for the second year in a row because it showed me that all the work I had done prior to this season had paid off.” Uviedo Said. 

In addition to District Player of the Year, the Atoms had 4 players selected for the 1st Team All District. Those players included Junior Ripley Hotaling, Sophomore Lily Flores, Sophomore Sofia Saavedra, and Sophomore Callia Uviedo. 

Hotaling added, “I hadn’t thought about it all season, but It was really fulfilling to receive that award. Then along with the 2nd Team All Region, it felt super rewarding.” 

The Field Hockey players are not the only ones to receive district and regional recognition. Head Coach Corin Uviedo was selected as the District and Regional Coach of the Year. This achievement provides proof that the Atoms have a real deal coach. 

The 2023 season found the Atoms missing 10 strong players that graduated last year, where the majority played every single game. This meant that many returning Varsity players and the recruits from the JV team had to step up to the plate. 

“By all accounts, we were considered an inexperienced team.  My players came out and went 7-0 in regular season district play, second in the National District Tournament.” said Coach Uviedo. 

The Atoms didn’t get the season finish they had all hoped for, but the team and the coach are optimistic about next year. Coach Uviedo added,

“Next year we hope to build on the confidence and teamwork we created this year.”

You can continue to follow the Atoms Field Hockey team on their Instagram @atomsfieldhockey, and look out for upcoming off season practices and clinic opportunities.