Wrestling season kicks off

Winter season is here which means that it is officially the beginning of winter sports and wrestling. Wrestling will start on Nov. 15 and end on Feb. 17.

“I’m looking forward to the season and hyped for the upcoming season,” wrestler Carlos Monjaras said.

Wrestling season is being hyped up by players and coaches after the two month long pre-season. The players and coaches believe that they could bring home a few regional titles, district titles or even a state championship. 

I do believe it will be better. We are now a team with expectations; we should have multiple wrestlers contended for district titles, regional and state placings this year. We are looking to have a winning record as well this year,” said head coach Joshua Damico.

Wrestling has weight classes that range from 103-285 and since wrestling has a big roster and a diverse weight class this year, this means that JV players will have a higher chance of making it to varsity during this season. 

“I think that for the upcoming season there is a good chance for our team to make districts and states,” said player Adam Khaliqi. 

The first real match will be a home game against Morgantown, Centreville and Park View high school, the wrestlers will be in the aux gym wrestling it out and potentially winning matches. 

Each of the presumed starters at each of the weight classes brings their own style to their matches. Ranging from aggressive to defensive, basic to funky, it helps keep opponents on their toes because they don’t know what to expect from each wrestler” said Damico.

This season will be long and full of challenges but the Annandale wrestling team will prevail and fight through any difficulties that come their way.