IB Spotlight: Semir Ali

Why did you decide to pursue the IB diploma?

I love the IB Diploma program because it helps me explore different subjects, whether that be Spanish or Geography, and be challenged in these areas.

What extracurriculars are you in?

I’m class president, the president of the FCPS Superintendent Student Advisory Council, run Cross Country and Track, co-president of FBLA, part of Orchestra Leadership, and the College and Career Committee lead for the Equity team.

What HLs do you take and why?

I love exploring different texts so I picked IB English Literature 2 HL, I relatively enjoyed IB Physics and like the math component so I’m doing IB Physics 2 HL, and I want to continue studying statistics in the future so I do IB Math Analysis 2 HL.

How are you feeling about the IB diploma going into your senior year?

I definitely think that the IB diploma program has been more stressful this year because the course load has gone up for all my classes and the materials (for my Math and Physics classes) are harder. However, I love how I share a lot of classes now with the IB Diploma candidates I’m friends with!

How have IB classes helped you?

Time-management for me has improved because, especially with the responsibilities of my extracurriculars and school work, I now am a lot more motivated to do work and make sure it is completed. I also think the IB Diploma has helped me with stress management!  

What do you plan/want to do after you graduate high school?

I hope to study Statistics or Data Science at a 4-year college after college!