Student goes to see Olympics

As school comes to a close and summer rolls around, so does the biggest summer sports event in the world. It’s the 2012 Summer Olympics, and  they are to be held in London, England. Although the torch ceremony already kicked off on May 19, the actual games will begin on July 27 and finish on Aug. 12, with over 200 countries participating in 300 events. This year, Dylan Gore, a junior at AHS, will have the opportunity to travel to London and see the games.

“I’m going around Aug. 6th,” Gore said. “I’m seeing the event called English team handball.”

Team handball is a fast-paced game that involves two teams of seven players each. The opposing teams attempt to score goals by passing the ball around to get the ball in the goal. Great Britain, the host country, qualified for both Men’s and Women’s handball. However, no teams from the United States qualified.

Besides Team handball, Gore is also looking forward to seeing the swimming events, though he will not be attending those events.

“I’m only seeing one event [team handball],” Gore said. “But I am mostly looking forward to swimming.”

The 2012 Olympic Team Trials for the United States’ team will be held from the 25 of June to the second of July.

“I’m supporting Team USA,” Gore said. “Specifically, I am rooting for Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte.”

Swimmers Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps have competed with each other multiple times, and have fought back and forth to claim the number one title. Although Michael Phelps dominated the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and currently holds the world record for the 14 gold medals he has won, Ryan Lochte has been named the Best Male Swimmer for 2011. He has beaten Phelps in some races, even setting the world record for the 200-meter individual medley event. Both swimmers will be competing for the United States’ team in the Olympics this summer.

With such fierce competition, the 2012 London Olympic Games will definitely be a sight to see. This is the third time that London has hosted the Olympic Games, making it the first city to host the Games three times and closing a 64 year gap since the 1948 London Olympic Games. Although London, England is a long way to travel, Gore is looking forward to experiencing the games firsthand.

“I want to see the Olympics because it’s a once in a lifetime experience,” Gore said.

With the historic city of London as its host, and athletes like Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte, the 2012 Summer Olympics will definitely be an event worth seeing, whether you are watching on the TV at home or in the stands in London.